Saturday 20 February 2016

Flower girls: Step by step

I thought it would be fun to show you all how I draw. Not line by line, as that would take forever and a half, but rather step by step. 

All my drawings start with an idea. Usually this is a very loose idea, and it always (no exceptions) changes as I go along. Today I knew I wanted to draw two girls, and I knew I wanted flowers to be involved. At first I thought about giving them both flower crowns but quickly decided against it, as it would take the focus away from the the girls themselves. I started off, as always, by making a quick pencil sketch: 


I usually use a regular HB pencil when I sketch (I find that B-pencils tend to smudge easily and thus make the lines harder to remove afterwards, and that H-pencils are too hard on the paper), but this is just my personal preference. Today my favourite pencil had gone missing (damn those house elves!) so I had to make do with one of my reserve pencils. 

Once I'm satisfied with the initial sketch, I trace the lines with a pigment liner: 


At the moment I'm using both Faber-Castell's ECCO pigment liners and Staedtler's pigment liners, as I can't for the life of me figure out which brand I prefer. 

Once the tracing is done, I erase all visible pencil marks: 


Normally tracing is a piece of cake. This time, however, the liner slipped (so annoying), and the girls' lips ended up looking like this: 


But I did not despair! Most liner mishaps can be corrected. This time I fixed it by giving my girls black lipstick. I was originally planning on giving them red lips, but like I mentioned above, the initial idea always changes:


A wee side note: I hate how my drawings look at this stage (pictured above). I always feel they look both boring and bland and bah with just the initial layer of markers. But once I've added multiple layers and retraced the drawing with a ticker liner, I'm usually a lot happier with the finished result: 


I actually feel the black lips and the matching collars make the drawing 'pop' a lot more than it would have had the lips been red like I'd originally planned. I guess that's what you call a lucky mistake!

-

Did you enjoy this step by step post? Should I make more posts like this in the future?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tone! I've just discovered your lovely blog and work via Et Dryss Kanel.
    I love this kind of posts, it's always so interesting to me to read about process behind artwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marion, and welcome to my humble abode her on the internet! I'm only just starting out, but if you hang around I promise you there will be many more posts like this one! :)

      Delete